Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Message: Our God Hides

 

Exodus 19: 21-24

 And the Lord said to Moses, “Go down and warn the people, lest they break through to the Lord to look and many of them perish. Also let the priests who come near to the Lord consecrate themselves, lest the Lord break out against them.” And Moses said to the Lord, “The people cannot come up to Mount Sinai, for you yourself warned us, saying, ‘Set limits around the mountain and consecrate it.’” And the Lord said to him, “Go down, and come up bringing Aaron with you. But do not let the priests and the people break through to come up to the Lord, lest he break out against them.”
 
 Exodus 33: 17-23

And the Lord said to Moses, “This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” And the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”

Matthew 2: 7-11
  
Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared. And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.


The Heidelburg Disputation, Theses 20

He deserves to be called a theologian, however, who comprehends the visible and manifest things of God seen through suffering and the cross. The manifest and visible things of God are placed in opposition to the invisible, namely, his human nature, weakness, foolishness.  



In a positive sense, God hides himself for our benefit.  If we were to see him in his full glory "who dwells in unapproachable light", we would suffer the fate that God warned Moses and the Israelites of before Mt. Sinai.  God is holiness personified, and so no unclean thing can exist in his Presence without being burnt up as chaff. Hence God prescribed certain limits around the Tabernacle (where God met with Moses) in the Israelites' camp.  Outside of the Aaronic priesthood, no one was allowed to "come near to the vessels of the sanctuary or to the altar lest they, and you, die." (Numbers 18: 3) As God warned Aaron, "any outsider who comes near shall be put to death." (Numbers 18:7)
So between God and the Israelites, there was a veil that remained in place emblefied by the Most Holy Place where only the High Priest could go and stand before the mercy seat to offer sacrifices for the sins of Israel.  

In the Incarnation of Jesus Christ,  the veil between God and man was torn apart.  Hiding his deity in human flesh, Jesus made himself approachable for the sake of many unclean sinners in Israel who came to him to receive healing, mercy and forgiveness.  Not even  Gentiles were barred.  At his birth, the Magi from the east came before him to offer gifts and to worship him, signifying a shift in the nature of the priesthood that pointed ahead to the creation of Christ's church at Pentecost.  To the weak Christ made himself weak, that "he might gain the weak" (1 Corinthians 9:22), emptying himself of his glory, and being "found in human form" (Phillippians 2:8), where he could dwell with men and make the mystery of the gospel "hidden for ages and generations", and God the Father known to us (Colossians 1:26): 

John 1: 18
 
No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

John 14: 7- 11

 "If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
 
Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.


Two thousand years removed from encountering Jesus in human form, we still meet with him today physically in bread and wine each Sunday.  Coming down from heaven, as with the Incarnation, "the bread of God" still dwells in the presence of sinners today and gives life to us, touching unclean lips with his body and blood that alone is the way of our salvation.  

In the name of Jesus.  Amen.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment