Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Handle with Care












2 Cor 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show
that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

2 Cor 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness".


Do we really boast about our weaknesses in the church, or
do we rarely let them out of the closet? Or have we buried them
under an avalanche of pieties and soundbites about purpose,
victory and breakthrough. Do we hide them from others wearing
a false mask of joy concealing the pain and despair underneath.
Often in myself I wear masks when I struggle with depression,
and withdraw into my private bubble from other Christians. So
I won't face the embarrassing moments when I breakdown in tears
in front of them.

But these passages say to me, speak openly of yourself as a weak,
broken and fragile Christian because God uses weaklings to shame
the world. He used someone poor in speech to defeat Pharoah and
to bring his people out of servitude in Egypt (Exodus 3:10). He raised
up a king from the youngest of eight sons (2 Samuel 16). He chose a
man of unclean clips to pronounce judgment and grace on Israel (Isaiah 6:9).

Why does God choose weaklings like us? Because he knows we need his
helping hands. As we repent of our own efforts when we put our faith in
Christ. The strong despise his assistance. The fool in his heart says "with
our tongue we will prevail, our lips are with us; who is master over us?"
(Psalm 12:4). But those who realise they carry the sign "handle with care"
in their souls and bodies, cast their cares on God and wait dependently
on him for his shelter. I desire each day to know more of my own brokenness,
so that I would look more to Christ for my strength and not to my faltering,
stuttering self.

Humble me, Lord, that your power and grace might be clearly seen,
and that I would rest solely in you. In the name of Christ. Amen.

1 comment: